- VET Courses
- Advanced Diploma
- Admission Requirements
- Current Students
- Future Students
- About Us
- Contact Us
11020NAT Diploma of English Language Teaching (TESOL)
|Duration:||52 weeks including breaks|
|Study Type:||Blended learning; 25% online and 75% face to face|
This course is organised into 14 units of competency, made up of 9 core units and 5 elective units.
|Unit Code||Unit Description||Core/Elective|
|NAT11020010||Apply English teaching approach and methods||Core|
|NAT11020011||Design and teach English as a second language||Core|
|NAT11020012||Assess English as a second language syllabus||Core|
|NAT11020013||Teach English for academis purposes||Core|
|NAT11020014||Teach English for specific purposes||Core|
|TESAMT001||Apply approaches and methods in TESOL||Elective|
|TESDES001||Design ESL syllabus||Elective|
|TESAEL001||Assess ESL learning||Elective|
|TESEAP001||Teach English for academic purposes||Elective|
|TESESP001||Teach English for specific purposes||Elective|
Our 11020NAT Diploma of English Language Teaching (TESOL) is designed to provide you with comprehensive and practical skills in teaching English to speakers of other languages. The course aims to deliver a range of knowledge and skills so that you can plan and deliver English lessons, as well as design English language programs, develop effective English assessments and create programs to develop English skills for use in specific contexts. With a high focus on practical demonstration of skills, you will be ready for employment upon graduation.
By undertaking this course, you will:
• Research, analyse and understand various TESOL methodologies and their application to learning goals
• Understand how to construct a cohesive series of lessons to form an ESL syllabus to suit various ESL training requirements
• Research, analyse and understand various ESL proficiency tests and prepare ESL students to take ESL proficiency tests
• Design and/or customise ESL assessment items based on learning outcomes
• Understand academic contexts in which ESL students may need to use English and prepare ESL students for various academic contexts (e.g. university study)
• Research, analyse and understand specific contexts in which English may be used (for example, English for business, medicine, tourism, etc.) and create learning programs based around that specific purpose.
Every student will need to demonstrate:
o Completion of Australian Year 12 or equivalent
o Attaining IELTS 5.5 English language equivalence if a non-native English speaker
o Being aged over 18
o Completion of 11021NAT Certificate IV in English Language Teaching (TESOL) (or equivalent).
On completion of the 11020NAT Diploma of English Language Teaching (TESOL), students may pursue a related university level course.
This course prepares you to be an English as a Second Language (ESL) Teacher.
If you have a bachelor degree (any area) together with our Certificate IV in TESOL you may find teaching opportunities in an Australian NEAS quality endorsed ELT Centre or employment as an English Language Program Developer (e.g. for specific purposes such as business, medicine, etc. or to provide individual or group support university level students).
With an additional TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (or equivalent), other English teaching opportunities may be possible in vocational education.
Recognition is available (on application) to students with prior skills, experience, knowledge or qualifications obtained from formal studies or training, in a related area. Recognition may reduce the duration of your studies